Saturday, June 5, 2010

Five Secrets to Public Speaking Without Fear

Are you concerned about speaking in public? It is one of the most feared activities. Here are five secrets to speaking in public with less stress.

1. Know your topic.

Take the time to learn the material about which you will be speaking. This will eliminate the need for extensive notes. When I speak I have nothing more than an outline. This allows me to talk genuinely.

2. Select the right three people to whom you'll talk.

As soon as I am in front of a group I quickly pick on person near the front on the left, one in the back of the room near the center, and one on the right-hand near the middle. I use these three locations as they best fit my speaking style. You may need three other people. Just make sure your people are seated in different spots.

3. Move from one to the other regularly.

Be sure to switch off between people on a fairly regular basis, perhaps every second or third sentence.

This serves a couple of purposes. First, if you were to dwell on one person too long, they will become uncomfortable. Second, the rest of the people will have a stronger feeling of inclusion (remember they do not know your not talking to them).

Many cases I have had someone come up to me after a keynote or lecture claiming I was looking right at them when I made a certain point. Usually I chuckle inside because I know they were not one of my three people.

4. Never use PowerPoint as an outline.

PowerPoint was once an easy way for a speaker to maintain their outline. Over the years I have found its purpose as such to be worthless.

You cannot read the slide without the audience wondering how much of an expert you can be if are doing nothing more than reading slides. They can read the same slides so they don't need you.

Also, wordy slides are boring. I prefer slides that make picture images of my point. They are easier to remember and provide the freedom for me to shuffle my points when the audience questions jump ahead.

5. Sprinkle your talk with humor.

The proper use of humor will keep your audience engaged. Even if the audience is not initially interested in your topic, nobody wants to miss your humor. They will listen for the next joke giving you a chance to show them how your point is valid to their work or life.

Related : Piano Lamps

No comments:

Post a Comment