Thursday, June 17, 2010

Hypnosis and the Mechanics of Pain

In this article, I'll be speaking in the way a good and qualified therapist would speak, although I hasten to add that I am not a therapist, merely a student and researcher.

I must assume, too, that you either have, or have recourse to, a first class therapist. As we've discussed previously, your choice in this respect is vital.

The first question I'd ask you if you came to me complaining of pain is how do you feel about it? Does it rule your life to the extent where you see no end to your suffering, or is it something you feel you must live with for a while, but that it'll pass and that you feel that your behaviour plays some part in controlling it?

I would also make it abundantly clear that I know you're in pain and that I sympathize fully with your condition. I would ask you to describe you pain to me as fully as you're able.

Is it stabbing, sharp, dull and throbbing, boiling, searing or scalding? You really want someone to whom you can talk about your pain, about how you feel. Someone to understand that you're in genuine distress. I'll remember the words you use to describe your pain, because when you're in trance, I'll use them in a hypnotic sense.

Now this next observation may sound a little strange, even callous. It certainly isn't intended as such. Pain, however, is very 'entrancing,' (pun intended!). Imagine you have the most frightful toothache. You're trying to take your mind off it by watching a good programme on television and eating pain pills like sweets. You may just as well be eating chalk for all the good they're doing.

Either that, or you're trying to have a conversation with your best friend about a subject that normally is of great interest to you. Because of the pain, though, the television programme leaves you cold, or your friend's words simply go in one ear and out of the other. It wouldn't matter what you tried to do, the pain would take over your whole being and - what else is it doing?

Focusing your Attention!

If I were your therapist, after I'd asked you about your pain and you'd told me about it, I'd be very careful not to mention the word again. So how would I begin to tackle your pain? When you were in trance, I'd ask questions about your 'level of comfort.'

If your pain were of the stabbing variety, I'd ensure we placed a mental cushion between you and the pain.

If the pain were boiling, then I'd cool it in some way.

A pulsating pain can be slowed just as any pulse can be slowed and finally stopped.

I might ask you to grade your pain, 100% being the worst, 0% meaning the pain's completely gone. We'll keep referring to the gradations until the pain has gone

My Links : Citizen Watches Store. LOWER Prices in Same Item Ridge Park Learn Marine Flags

No comments:

Post a Comment